Saturday 15 October 2011

A very good Saturday

The view from the bus stop. Fall has arrived in town
I woke up at nine, happy to finally being able to sleep in. I got up at twelve. Mmmmh I love slow mornings. Today is fleamarket day so I hopped on the bus (actually bought a ticket, but forgot to use it). On the way I noticed an apple tree in a overgrown garden with no house, so I decided to walk back afterwards. The first I made sure doing at the fleamarket was checking out the clothes. There was nothing interesting and the prefixed prices was too high, so I strolled on to the café where they had these yummies:
They might not look it, but they tasted fine. Except the brown one, it could have had just a tad more sugar. And the coffee was a bit thin. But hey! It's cheap
Sitting in the sun, Chris, who is the genius behind the name of this blog actually, sat down for a chat. I love how you sometimes run into people you know! He drives a scooter and this is a picture of his helmet:
(I'm trying to be artistic here)
I spent some time talking to Chris and haggling for stuff. Found this German plate and got it for $3,60 (because it's really not worth more):


And then I found this coffee grinder that the lady wanted $9 for, but I turned it over, saw two IKEA price tags and therefore got it for $3,60:
(It's going to be a present for someone who's birthday I didn't go to. Gonna fill it with coffee).
When the market was over I said buh-bye to Chris and walked home. On my way I remembered the apple tree:

I suppose iphone doesn't give it the right ehh.. Don't blame the photographer!
So I picked some apples and before leaving I heard myself say "Namaste". Heh.. Well. This is the apples, and I'll bake a cake and some muffins. Yum:

But the day wasn't over! In a park by my flat someone had set up a festival about food. The food was free, but you could give some donations. I gave them what I had left  ($7.20) and filled my plate with everything vegetarian I found:
Notice the spoon!
I had some dessert too, but I forgot to take a picture. It was just too yummy..
The festival was to bring awareness about the hunger in the Horn of Africa. And also to discuss food-capitalism, poverty and .. other things. The food was donated from supermarkets around the city, food that had gone past it's sell by date and was going to be trash after all. Now fancy that. (I'm not a stranger to dumpster-diving myself, but I'll save that for another post).

There was a DJ and some people was dancing and eating at the same time. Shocker! I tried taking some pictures, this is what I snapped that turned out all right:





Fun times. I love living in this city at times. Even though it's cold and expensive and at times unfriendly, it's days like these that makes it all worth it. I'm going to get some warmth in me and go back to the festival. Yepsidoodle!

Now, this is not that type of blog where I ask a question like "How was your day?" just to get comments and readers, 'cos usually I don't give a fuck, but seriously, could you top my day?

No comments:

Post a Comment