Friday 21 October 2011

Dumpster diving

"I wanted to draw on this one too, sadly this is possibly the only streetart I'll ever do"
Yesterday I stole food from the trash. It's called Dumpster Diving and it is illegal. So point is to not get caught, and therefore it's kinda smart to have someone to watch yer back and hold the flashlight and stuff like that. My friend .. let's call her Gertrude .. and I went diving for trash last night. Yawn, that's why I overslept for work. Now, looky-looky:

Inside the dumpster there was A LOT of turnips and parsnips. And a lot of plastic. Hardly any of the food felt yucky to the touch.
Paprika! Baby-Eggplants! Durum wheat!
The paprika's look great don't they? Nothing wrong with them at all. Some of the baby-eggplants was a bit wrinkly, but I've bought worse before. The durum wheat was past it's sell by date with a week, but everybody knows stuff like that (flower, pasta, rice) can last for years, centuries even, so hey it might not be low-carb, but it's food! And all the turnips! My gods! I feel sorry for the farmers, all their hard work down the drain like this. It's a shame! Good thing me and.. Gertrude.. saved some of it.

Placed on the bench, ready to be washed. (Some of it is already in the sink, but I forgot to take pictures of that. DAMN!)

Potatoes, onion, chili, cauliflower, radish, eggplants, coriander, cherry tomatoes, parsnips..

Durum wheat, paprika, turnips.
More paprika. And stuff.

So what did we do with all this stuff? First we cleaned it properly. And dried the water off with towels. We threw away whatever we couldn't eat, and some of the food ended up in the freezer (like the chili and the coriander). After a bit of thinking we decided to bake the eggplants, paprika, onion and tomatoes in the oven, and make a purée of it all afterwards.
This is what the precooked yummies looked like:

(M***phunker doesn't want to lay the right way. Grrrawl!)

It's paprika, garlic, onions, tomatoes, baby-eggplants sprinkled with salt n' pepa, drenched in extra virgin olive oil, silly! Now why did you feel like asking when it's right there in plain in sight? Bitch, are you blind? Oh you didn't ask? Whatever then.
We baked it at 200*C/392*F for about an hour, until the paprika's where wrinkly and a bit brown at the edges. We left them to cool until we (I mean I) put them in the food processor. Which was filled to the brim so I had to take it slow. But will you look at the result! We've made AJVAR!!!

Fancy dirty kitchen cloths right? They're from ikea and will never ever be white again.

It tastes great the way it is, but also works fine in soups and stuff. Today I'll have ajvar and fried turnips for dinner. YUM!=) And then, later on.. I'll see if I have enough money for a beer. Because I want one (6!) and I want a night out on town, sans car-trashing of course. I plomise!

No comments:

Post a Comment